?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Dragon Age 2 Malcolm's Bequest - Melodramatic, corsetted mistress of the obscure
June 7th, 2011
12:02 pm

[Link]

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Dragon Age 2 Malcolm's Bequest
One of the mage robes from Dragon Age 2 (Mage pack DLC, I am pretty sure) is called Malcolm's Bequest and uses the same base robe pattern as the Viscount's costume, but for some reason I only noticed the robe as Malcolm's Bequest.


And I really want to try to make it. It seems simple enough (but for the shoulder detail) and offers some use of fabric paints.



This is Malcolm's Bequest on a Femme Hawke




I started mentally going through the patterns I knew I had and the ones I knew worked and came up with two that seemed likely.

The one I made into my 'Crane' dress

(the view in the middle)




And the one I made into my 'Angel' shirtdress

(the second from the left became my Angel dress)




I became fixated on the Crane version because I LOVE the box pleats. But of course the neckline is all wrong. So I dug some more and found this old pattern:


I mocked up just the collar and shoulders in the size that had already been cut out and it fit just perfectly and did precisely what i wanted. It just needed to be a bit taller.


Then, I went to the trouble of making new pattern pieces blending the dress with the collar. No, you don't get to see pictures; they are kind of boring and won't lay flat anyway. It went easier than I expected, however.


I even extended the sleeve pattern to make a long sleeve.



THEN, I come on here to start crowing about all this and, in the process, took a good hard look at the robe I was trying to create.



Oh woe! I am now convinced that the 'Crane' pattern is not nearly as right for this as the 'Angel' pattern. The good news in this is that, in the Angel pattern, the collar is already correct (but for the height), the pattern has a long sleeve version and it takes way less fabric. Since I am using fabric from my stash, this is kind of important. I am also cogitating on the viability of no side seam (since I have to add a back seam to allow for the split up the back). It could be done, and it would be something 'new' to me. It's a seductive idea and my fabric is plenty wide enough. I will lay it out first, never fear.


But I suppose I proved to myself that I can blend two patterns together to make the neckline of my choosing.


But my robe is going to be purple rather than red because a) I am not that fond of wearing red, b) I don't have that much red in my stash and c) I like purple, and the trim is going to be whatever my stash can provide in the proper amounts.


Those shoulder things, though. Those are going to take some work and learning new things, I think.

Tags:

(7 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments
 
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:solan_t
Date:June 7th, 2011 06:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Here's hoping I get that far. There's a non-zero probability I will get to the shoulder things and give up. :X
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:solan_t
Date:June 7th, 2011 09:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I am thinking a bit of both, actually. And paint, of course. ;)
[User Picture]
From:jensixstones
Date:June 8th, 2011 12:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
[User Picture]
From:solan_t
Date:June 8th, 2011 02:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ooooooh! Thank you for that!
(Deleted comment)
Powered by LiveJournal.com